PIERRE FAUCHARD ACADEMY

 

 

PHOTO GALLERY

CIRCULAR FOR ALL FELLOWS

CIRCULAR FOR ALL DENTAL COLLEGES

 

""

HISTORY 

INTERNATIONAL

The Pierre Fauchard Academy was founded in 1936 as an International Honor Dental Organisation by Dr.Elmer S. Best, a Minneapolis dentist.  

In founding the Academy, Dr. Best and his colleagues adopted the name of Pierre Fauchard, a Parisian ChirurgienDentiste who published his monumental work, Le ChirurgeinDentiste au Traite des Dents in 1728.  It became the first widely accepted scientifically oriented book on Dentistry.  The two volumes are credited with raising dentistry to the status of a profession.  Deservedly, Pierre Fauchard has been described as the "Father of Modern Dentistry".

INDIA SECTION

The India Section was started in the year 1976 but became non-functional in 1978 and was closed. However, during the Golden Jubilee of the PFA in 1986, the International office appointed Dr.T.Samraj as Chairman and gave him powers to revive the India Section. A meeting of existing members and those who were interested to revive PFA were held in December 1986 at Coimbatore, along with the Indian Dental conference. The members ratified the action of the International PFA appointing Dr.T.Samraj as Chairman and Secretary and Treasurer and authorized him to co-ordinate all the activities of the Academy for 5 years. They also elected new office-bearers, Dr.V.P.Jalili as Editor of the Journal of PFA and Dr.S.S.Sidhu as Scientific Editor of the Journal of PFA.Dr.S.S.Sidhuserved 29 years as Scientific Editor of the Journal of PFA till 2015 and Dr.V.P.Jalili as Chief Editor of the Journal of PFA for 30 years till 2016 and is now the Emeritus Editor of the Journal of PFA from 2017.